In this post, you’ll learn a simple tip showing how to find cell that contains specific text in your excel spreadsheet.
What is the use of ISNUMBER and SEARCH in Cell contains Specific Text in excel?
A cell contains specific text, use ISNUMBER and SEARCH in Excel.
The SEARCH function returns the position of the search string when found and the #VALUE! error if not found. We use this fact to test whether the search string is found by using the ISNUMBER function to “catch” valid numeric positions.
ISNUMBER returns TRUE for numbers and FALSE for anything else. So, if SEARCH finds the substring, it returns the position as a number, and ISNUMBER returns TRUE. If SEARCH doesn’t find the substring, it returns a #VALUE! error, which causes the ISNUMBER to return FALSE.
The following steps will explain the work of Cell contains Specific Text in Excel:
- First, prepare an excel sheet with the required details in it.
- To find the position of a substring in a text string, use the SEARCH function.
- You can use the following formula: =SEARCH(B2,A2).
- Add the ISNUMBER function with the SEARCH function, to check the substring in a text.
- You can use the following formula: =ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B2,A2)).