In this post, let’s learn how the REPLACE Function works in excel, describes the formula syntax, and how you can use the REPLACE Function in your excel spreadsheet.
What is REPLACE Function in Excel?
The REPLACE function is used in excel to replace the text string based on the number of characters you specify.
Syntax of REPLACE Function
=REPLACE (old_text, start_num, num_chars, new_text)
- Old_text– The text which you want to replace.
- Start_num-Starting location of the text to search.
- Num_chars-Number of characters to replace.
- New_text-The text which you want to replace the old one.
How to use REPLACE Function in Excel?
The following steps will explain the work of the REPLACE function in an excel spreadsheet:
- Create a spreadsheet with the specified data in it.
- Here, in this example, we are going to perform REPLACE Function let’s begin with the REPLACE command following the “=” operator within the parenthesis to declare the address of the cell with the required parameters.
- The REPLACE function returns a #VALUE! Error when the start_num and num_chars are negative.