In this post you’ll learn about COMBIN Function, its syntax and arguments also the way of using COMBIN Function in excel spreadsheet.
What is COMBIN Function?
The COMBIN Function is an Excel Math and Trigonometric Function. COMBIN Function is a combination function; it is used to calculate the numbers of combinations without repetitions for the given numbers.
To count combinations with repetitions use COMBINA function. To count permutations(order maters in this combination) use PERMUT Function. COMBIN Function introduced in MS Excel 2000.
- = – built-in function.
- COMBIN() – Function name.
- number – numbers should be greater than or equal to 0.
- number_chosen – the number of items in each of the combinations and also the numbers must be greater than or equal to 0.
- Combinations without repetitions use COMBIN Function.
- To count the combinations with repetitions use COMBINA Function.
- To count permutations(order matters in these combinations) use PERMUT Function.
- Arguments that contain decimal numbers can be shortened(truncate) as integers.
- #VALUE! Error – If the given number and number_chosen is a non-numeric value.
- #NUM! – Occurs when value or any other argument is outside of its constraints.
- If the supplied number is less than 0.
- If the supplied number_chosen is less than 0 or greater than the argument of the number.
How to use COMBIN Function in Excel spreadsheet?
COMBIN Function in excel, is a combination function is used to calculate the number of combinations without repetitions.
For any six objects like (a, b, c, d, e, f,) there are 15 different combinations of 2 objects.
COMBIN Function helps to derive such combinations as shown above. The number of combinations is as follows where number=n and number_chosen=k.
Open the workbook in your Microsoft Excel.
Enter the data in the workbook.
In the new cell, give the formula of the function or the syntax. Always start with ‘ =’ for every functions, COMBIN function name, followed by the open parenthesis, to the arguments of the syntax.
Here the number is 6, the number_chosen is 2. So the result of combination occurs is 15.
Using COMBIN Function, you can calculate the numbers of combinations for the set of 10 from 1 to 10 as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.
Since there are no repetitions, we can use formulas corresponding to the value.
The formula changes according to each rows of the values. Give the formula for all the value or drag from the top till bottom of the list to get the results of the other values.