The Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) is a free utility developed by Microsoft that helps in detecting and removing known malware from Windows-based systems.
The tool is released monthly as part of Windows Update or as a standalone download from the Microsoft Download Center. It is designed to run on all supported versions of Windows, including Windows 11, Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2019, Windows Server 2016, and so on.
The MSRT is not a replacement for antivirus software, but it can help in removing some of the most common malware infections. It scans for prevalent malware types such as Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom, and removes any malware that it finds.
The tool is easy to use and does not require any configuration or maintenance. It runs in the background and automatically checks for and installs the latest version of the tool from Windows Update.
To use the MSRT, simply download it from the Microsoft Download Center or let it install automatically via Windows Update. Once installed, it will automatically run in the background and scan your system for known malware infections.
If MSRT detects any malware on your system, it will prompt you to remove it. Simply follow the on-screen instructions to remove the malware from your system.
Overall, the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool is a useful utility for Windows users who want an additional layer of protection against known malware infections. However, it should not be relied upon as the sole means of protecting your system from malware. It is recommended to use a comprehensive antivirus solution along with the MSRT for complete protection.
How to download Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool ?
To download the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, you can follow these steps:
- Open your web browser and go to the Microsoft Download Center website at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/.
- In the search box, type “Malicious Software Removal Tool” and press Enter.
- From the search results, select the version of the tool that corresponds to your operating system.
- Click the “Download” button next to the tool to begin the download.
- Depending on your browser settings, you may be prompted to choose a location to save the file or the download may begin automatically.
- Once the download is complete, double-click the downloaded file to run the installation wizard.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
After the installation is complete, the tool will automatically run in the background and scan your system for known malware infections. If any malware is found, the tool will prompt you to remove it.
Note that the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool is also available as part of Windows Update. If you have automatic updates enabled, the tool will be downloaded and installed automatically along with other updates.