My 10 favourite Programming Quotes

Your 2020 Plan. Learn 20 minutes a day for 20 days. Online courses from €9.99.

For this post , i decided to collect some of my favourite quotes related to the programming .

These programming quotes  were made by some of the famous personalities in the IT industry .

So , without wasting any time , here are my 10 favourite programming quotes .

    1. If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in. –  Edsger Dijkstra
    1. The first 90% of the code accounts for the first 90% of the development time. The remaining 10% of the code accounts for the other 90% of the development time.  – Tom Cargill
    1. “There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.”-  C.A.R. Hoare
    1. Measuring programming progress by lines of code is like measuring aircraft building progress by weight. – Bill Gates
    1. “Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.” – Martin Golding
    1. “The trouble with programmers is that you can never tell what a programmer is doing until it’s too late.” – Seymour Cray
    1. Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. – Rick Cook
    1. “Most of you are familiar with the virtues of a programmer. There are three, of course: laziness, impatience, and hubris.” – Larry Wall
    1. “Sometimes it pays to stay in bed on Monday, rather than spending the rest of the week debugging Monday’s code.” – Christopher Thompson

 

  1. Walking on water and developing software from a specification are easy if both are frozen. – Edward V Berard

 

What is your favourite or interesting programming quote ?

56 thoughts on “My 10 favourite Programming Quotes

  1. Pingback: Tweets that mention My 10 favourite Programming Quotes | Ginktage -- Topsy.com

  2. “People might look at a problem and think: ‘I am going to solve that with regular expressions.’ Then they have two problems.” (Jamie Zawinski)

  3. Pingback: pligg.com

  4. “Did you hear the one about the programmer’s wife? She is still a virgin. Every night he sits at the end of the bed and tells her how great it’s going to be.”

    (From _Interface_ by Neal Stephenson under pen name “Stephen Bury,” with a co-author I forget.)

  5. Pingback: hum-hum

  6. Pingback: hum-hum

  7. Your 9th quote reads, “The first 90% of the code accounts for the first 90% of the development time. The remaining 10% of the code accounts for the other 90% of the development time.”. But shouldn’t it be, “The first 90% of the code accounts for the first 10% of the development time. The remaining 10% of the code accounts for the other 90% of the development time.”

  8. #10 is nice. It reminds me of my days at Digital, when DEC held a wishlist survey among customers. One of the requests was: ‘add a REMOVE BUG’ command, with the option ‘REMOVE BUG /RANDOM’ to randomly select a bug to be removed… The response was to take it very seriously: ok, but if we add this command, then – for the sake of symmetry – we should also add ‘INSERT BUG’ and ‘INSERT BUG /RANDOM’ to insert a bug at a randomly selected location. And, of course, only bugs previously inserted with INSERT BUG can be removed with REMOVE BUG…

  9. I like Gate’s comment about line code as a productivity measure. I heard about that process just after I had deleted 500 lines, added 100, increased performance, added new functionallity and no loss of original functionallity.

  10. Old Playboy cartoon:

    You know it’s amazing to think it would have taken 5,000 mathematicians 20 years, working 7 days a week with hand calculators to make a mistake like this.

  11. Actually spoken to me by one of the folks whose unix 3D graphics code I was about to port.

    “Unfortunately, the comments are all in French, but happily there aren’t many of them.”

    They were right…

  12. Just tell me where you want to go and I’ll show you how to get there. However, if you dictate how you want to get there, then I’ll tell you where to go.

    Kelly Balthrop

  13. Ones I found in CodeProject:
    “The first new language any beginning programmer masters is profanity” – Dan Neely

    “My programs never have bugs, they just develop random features” – S. Lloyd

    “Don’t tell my folks I’m a computer programmer – they think I’m a piano player in a cat house…” (I don’t know who said this)

  14. #8 is missing “The first one is far more difficult” (or somewhere along those lines.)

    “There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.”

  15. Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. – Rick Cook

  16. #6 is my new motto!!!

    Here are a few I’ve found through the years:

    “If you lie to the computer, it will get you.”

    “Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. *Good* programmers write code that humans can understand.”

    “Inside of every large program is a small program struggling to get out.”

    “If you have too many special cases, you are doing it wrong.”

    “Good judgment omes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.”

  17. “We code until it is designed, test until it is coded, and install until it is tested”

    “You start coding. I’ll go see what they want.”

    “There is no code so big, twisted, or complex that maintenance can’t make it worse” – Anthony Testi

    “Never time to do it right, always time to do it over”

    “BTW, in software, hope and pray is not a viable strategy” – Luc Pattyn

    “Apathy Error” Don’t bother striking any key.

  18. Quote (David W. Fenton):
    We could be confused in exactly the same way, but confusion might be like Nulls, and not comparable.

  19. Let me add one of my own…

    The developer should mind about the size of the code that he writes, as it is probable that he will have to stick it in his @$$, at some point…

    gkakas 2008

  20. In regards to the inital HTML spec: “Why an element? Quite simply, because Marc Andreessen shipped one, and shipping code wins.”

  21. Actually, the 90% quote is written correctly… I’ve heard it that way for a looong time. It makes it more of a zinger because everyone expects linear, and it just hits home that the time involved for the last 10% is never properly planned by saying it takes “the *other* 90%”.

  22. one of my favs: 32. For any problem, there will be exactly two possible routes to a solution, each the antithesis of the other. Unfortunately, only the third one will work.

  23. Pingback: Bite my bytes

  24. Here’s my favorite:
    Q: What is the difference between a Software Architect and a Terrorist?
    A: You can negotiate with the terrorist.

  25. And another:

    Q: Would you dare sitting in an airplane controlled by S/W written by your own team?
    A: Of course. If my team wrote the S/W, the plane will never take off.

  26. And another:

    Inline commnets in code are like sex: when it’s good, it’s excellent. When it’s bad, it’s still better than nothing.

  27. Pingback: 프로그래밍 명언 « turtle9

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *