There are 3-different platforms available
- Windows mobile standard targetting the the Non touchscreen devices .
- Windows Mobile Professional targetting the touch screen devices .
- Windows Mobile Classic – Similar to Windows Mobile Professional but without the phone functionalities.
Following are the tools required to develop the Windows Mobile Applications
1. Visual Studio 2005 / 2008 .
Note that Visual Studio Express Edition does not support Windows Mobile Development .
You can download the trial version of Visual Studio 2008 here .
2. Active Sync / Windows Mobile Device Manager
Software to Connect Windows Mobile device with the development computer.
If you are using Windows XP , then ActiveSync is Required . If Windows Vista or Windows 7 is used , then Windows Mobile Device Center is required .
Download the latest version of Active Sync here .
3. Compact Framework V2.0 SP1 or newer
4. One or more of the Following SDK’s are required depending on the target device .
- Windows Mobile Standard : Windows Mobile 6 Standard SDK
- Windows Mobile Classic and Professional : Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK.
- WIndows Mobile 6.5 Developer Toolkit – Standard and Professional
5. Click here to download the Standalone Device Emulator 1.0 with Windows Mobile OS Images if required to run the Applications without installing Visual studio .
Choices for Development
There are various options for the developers to develop applications for Windows Mobile . These include
1. Native Code Development using embedded VC++ etc.
2. Managed Code development using languages like C#,VB.NET,Delphi Prism etc and that uses Compact Framework .