To password protect a Microsoft Word document, you can follow these steps:
- Open the Word document that you want to password protect.
- Click on the “File” tab in the top left corner of the screen.
- From the dropdown menu, select “Protect Document” and then click on “Encrypt with Password.”
- A dialog box will appear, prompting you to enter a password. Choose a strong password that is easy for you to remember but difficult for others to guess. Make sure to use a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters for better security.
- After entering the password, click on the “OK” button. A confirmation dialog box will appear, asking you to reenter the password to confirm it. Re-enter the same password and click “OK.”
- The document is now password protected. Whenever someone tries to open the document, they will be prompted to enter the password.
- Save the document to apply the password protection. You can now close the document, and the password protection will remain in place.
Remember to keep your password in a safe place or use a password manager to ensure you don’t forget it, as there is no official way to recover a lost password for a Word document.